A Fast and Dirty Thranduil Crown Project

Wherein I share some of my costuming projects and natter on at you about clay and hot glue…because I want to.

I wouldn’t say this is a how to…since that would imply that I know what I’m doing. But if for some reason you need to make a Thranduil crown, here’s how I did mine. I was super pleased with how it turned out. It was a quick and dirty project and while there are real tutorials out there by much more serious crafters, my few easy steps did what I wanted and needed them to do.

For those of you who don’t know who Thranduil is…Thranduil is the king of the Woodland realm in the Lord of the Rings saga. You know, that place where Bilbo had to rescue the dwarves and smuggle everybody out in wine kegs?

You know…this guy?


Possibly the creepiest depiction of an elf ever…scarring many of our 80’s childhoods forever.

Or…better yet…this guy…?


I ❤ Lee Pace SO HARD.

My friends and I do a Randy Thrandy parade group every year. And this year I decided to break down and make myself a crown.

Randy Thrandy, or Dwarf Racist Party Dad was a thing that appeared on tumblr a few years ago. We knew immediately that we had to do this thing and make it epic.

(All images, gifs, and videos below do not belong to me. While I wish I had come up with this awesome thing, I did not. Alas.)




So we started our group and parade hard every year. Which amuses me greatly.

But onward to the crown!

Thrandy’s crown is fairly straightforward.


Some woodland spikes and a few leaves/flowers. I didn’t need to interpret this literally. I have seen many Thrandy crowns that I like, so I based mine on the one my friend E made.


She made hers with wire as the base. That’s not where I went, but it’s also an option.

For my process, what you need:

Sculpey (could be any color, but I used white)

acrylic paint (I used silver, again, you can use whatever color you like)

a paint brush

hot glue

Silk Flowers and leaves (whatever variety you like)

Sculpey is a pretty standard polymer clay found in most crafting stores. I used Sculpey III, the standard oven baked clay, in white.


I realize this is not a picture of white sculpey, but it’s a picture I took for another project, so you’ll just have to envision it in white.

I like Sculpey because it’s easy to work with and bake. It’s also long lasting and light, so wearing it doesn’t kill you. I learned my lesson after I used antlers to make this headdress for Mardi Gras a few years ago. It looked great, but by the end of the day, the weight of the antlers had given me a migraine.



A few months ago I made these horns with sculpey and they turned out perfectly.




No migraines here!

So I decided to go with Sculpey again for this project.

Once I had made clay kneaded out, I smoothed out coils of clay like they teach you to do in kindergarten to make pots.


Who didn’t spend hours making these?

When I had the coils rolled out, I measured my head to know how big to shape the base of my crown and then I pinched off various lengths to use for the spikes. Then I laid them out on a foil covered cookie sheet and bake at 275 until it was done. (The smaller spikes took about an hour and the base took almost two. I checked every 30 minutes. Sculpey recommends 15 minutes per 1/4 inch, and I’ve found you just have to check). The clay doesn’t fully harden until it cools, but you can tell if it’s baked enough by touch. Some trial and error is necessary.


Once baked and cooled, I painted everything silver. (I really only let it all cool for about 30 minutes, painted and then let that dry for 30 minutes. I would probably recommend baking the night before and then painting in the morning, but obviously the short time frame worked for me, so…)

Then, I pulled out the hot glue gun. There are probably better glues to use, but I was short on time and hot glue works.

I arranged my spikes in a way that I liked and glued them to the base.


It wasn’t super pretty, but I was going to add silk flowers that would cover up the glue spots.

Next I cut my flowers off their stems and glued them on too.


Ostara Thrandy anyone?

The final step was to tie a ribbon across the middle to go over my head to hold everything in place. I pinned the ribbon and used some bobby pins on flower stems to hold everything in place.

Once pinned, this elf was ready to roll!




So there you go, a fast and dirty Thrandy Crown! It stayed on all night, held up through a four mile parade of drunken revelry and still looks great!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s